News

The Impact of Giving: PSU Foundation releases 2014-15 Annual Report online
Author: Steve Beaven
Posted: December 8, 2015

Last year, Portland State University donors made gifts of more than $46 million to support PSU students, faculty, programs, research, capital projects and other campus priorities. It marked the fifth year in a row that private giving to PSU has increased and more than triples the $12.8 million raised in 2010.

The Impact of Giving, the PSU Foundation’s recently-completed annual report, provides an overview of the results from 2014-15, the foundation’s most successful year. The annual report includes profiles of some of the university’s most generous donors, as well as stories about how their gifts have changed the lives of students and altered the face of the Portland State campus.

“The generosity of our donors lies at the heart of our success,” said PSU President Wim Wiewel. “They understand the crucial role that private philanthropy plays in the lives of our students and the future of our community.”

The results, for the fiscal year that ended June 30, 2015, follow a merger a year prior that brought PSU’s university advancement, alumni relations and the foundation into a single entity. The fundraising totals for the PSU Foundation reflect PSU’s recent growth and momentum.

“Each time I walk through campus, the energy and optimism are palpable,” said Constance French, the interim president and CEO of the PSU Foundation.

The Creating Futures Scholarship Campaign met its goal of $50 million in March, nine months ahead of schedule and now stands at $54 million. In October, PSU broke ground on the expansion of the school of business administration, which has received more than $22 million in donor support and will be called the Karl Miller Center. Donors have also contributed more than $14 million for the renovation of the Peter W. Stott Center, a project that will add academic space and a new arena.

Donors support students who may otherwise be unable to earn a college degree without scholarships, many of whom are first-generation college students.

Aylinh Phou is a full-time student and single mother with a five-year-old daughter. She has received three scholarships to support her undergraduate studies in accounting.

Philanthropy, she said, “allowed me to focus on my studies and my daughter instead of worrying about my finances. It was a huge deal. And it still is.”