What type of experience do I need to have to enter the Special Educator Program?
Individuals should have volunteer or work experience in education or social services as well as experiences with children or young adults with disabilities. One or more of the following experiences in education are desirable:
  • Educational assistant - Volunteer in school classroom
  • Substitute Teacher - General education teacher
  • Employee or volunteer in community program for persons with disabilities
To gain experience, applicants are encouraged to enroll in SPED 199/460 Outdoor Ed/Recreation or UNST 421: Senior Capstone: Learning From and About Persons with Significant Disabilities. These courses are a two-week summer camp experience at Mt. Hood Kiwanis Camp working with children and adults with disabilities. The course is an opportunity to work with children and adults with a wide range of disabilities as well to meet many special educators who staff the camp. For information about this course, call (503) 725-3380.