What should I do if my family has special circumstances that aren'tmentioned in the FAFSA application?

If you or your family has unusual circumstances (such as loss of employment, loss of benefits, death or divorce), complete the FAFSA to the extent that you can and submit it as instructed. Then talk to the financial aid administrator at the Portland State Financial Aid Office. If your family's circumstances have changed, within federal guidelines, the financial aid administrator may decide on a case-by-case basis to adjust data elements used to calculate your EFC (estimated family contribution). Any adjustment the administrator makes must relate only to your individual circumstances and not to any conditions that exist for a whole class of students. The administrator's decision is final and cannot be appealed to the U.S. Department of Education.