What if I don't meet any of the criteria for not supplying my parents information when I apply for financial aid, but my parents don't support me?

Just because your parents don't claim you as a tax exemption on their taxes or refuse to give you support for your college education does not make you independent. Exceptions can be made only if a student has unusual circumstances. Here are some examples of such circumstances:

  • an abusive home situation which is detrimental to your physical or mental well-being
  • abandonment by both parents
  • incarceration of the custodial parent
  • your parents live in a foreign country and cannot be contacted by normal means of communication.

If you feel you have unusual circumstances, contact our office and ask for a Petition to Apply for Financial Aid Without Parental Information.