I'm not a U.S. citizen. Can I still get financial aid?

Maybe. United States federal regulations governing financial aid require that you be a U.S. citizen or eligible noncitizen to receive financial aid. An eligible noncitizen is defined as:

  • U.S. permanent resident, and you have an Alien Registration Receipt Card (I-151 or I-551).
  • Conditional permanent resident (I-151C).
  • Other eligible noncitizen with an Arrival-Departure Record (I-94) from the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service showing any one of the following designations:
    1. "Refugee,"
    2. "Indefinite Parole" and/or " Humanitarian Parole,"
    3. "Asylum Granted,"
    4. "Cuban-Haitian Entrant."
  • Other eligible noncitizen with a Temporary Resident Card (I-688).

If you are in the U.S. on only an F1 or F2 student visa, only a J1 or J2 exchange visitor visa, or only a G series (pertaining to international organizations), you are not eligible for federal student aid.

If you are an international student in need of assistance, the following may be of some help to you: